Country Of Origin:
Tswanas worldwide the bespoke Diaspora Funeral Cash Plan cover is for YOU!
We now live in an era of transnationalism wherein as transnational citizens we are essentially global villagers who belong to more than one society. When it comes to your global family protection needs you need flexible and versatile risk management solutions. Talk of worldwide protection without borders, we got you covered. At Diaspora Insurance we specialise in crafting bespoke risk solutions to make sure that you can cover not just yourself in the diaspora, but also your loved ones in Botswana if you wish.
Whether you are Tswana by descent, registry, birth, marriage you name it, the Diaspora Insurance is for You even if you have naturalised by taking other citizenship.
Demographics / Population: A mid-sized country of just over 2.3 million people, it is one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world. About 10 percent of the population lives in the capital and largest city, Gaborone. Botswana is an upper middle income country, with one of the world’s fastest-growing economies.
Economy: Botswana’s high gross national income, the fourth-largest in Africa. gives the country a relatively high standard of living and the highest Human Development Index of continental Sub-Saharan Africa.
Batswana in Diaspora
Why Botswana Nationals Relocate to the Diaspora
• Lack of government interest: It is a common perception that Bostwana nationals in the diaspora are largely ignored by the government of Botswana, and there are few diaspora engagement initiatives. Dual citizenship is not recognised, and there are no formal schemes to connect second and third-generation Batswana diaspora with their country of origin/heritage.
• Lack of political engagement: Diaspora voter registrations has generally been low, with only 1,044 registered Batswana voters in the diaspora voting in the 2019 elections representing around 1% of the diaspora.10 This has led to concerns that diaspora voter turnout is insufficient to justify the costs incurred to the government in enabling diaspora voting.
• Lack of information and: Currently, government services provided to the diaspora are limited to voter registrations and ID cards. There is little specific information available targeting the diaspora.
• Lack of employment and enterprise opportunities for diaspora professionals and entrepreneurs: There remains a lack of attractive employment opportunities for diaspora professionals, as well as a lack of targeted investment opportunities or incentives for diaspora entrepreneurs.
Body Repatriation for Batswana in the Diaspora
Repatriated bodies into Botswana are received and cleared at the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport.
Cost of repatriating a dead body to Botswana
It is fairly expensive to repatriate a dead body from abroad to Botswana. The reason why it’s more expensive than a normal flight fee is because there are special legal and health requirements that need to be satisfied in order to do so,
When repatriating from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Europe or any other far away places, the amount is even more as costs depend not only on weight, but also on distance among other factors such as funeral directors fees tariffs.
Requirements for repatriating a body into Botswana
- A valid post mortem report
- A Death Certificate
- An Embalment and cremation certificate
- Export permit to repatriate the dead body to Botswana
- Infectious / Non-infectious disease certificate. This has to be issued by healthy authorities in the repatriating country.
- Botswana passport or Botswana issued permanent residence document
- Certificate of contents declaring contents of coffin (issued by funeral director).
Other Essentials for repatriating a body to Botswan
When in doubt, contact the Bostwana Embassy in the repatriating country.
How long does it take to repatriate a body into Botswana?
In general, repatriation to Botswana takes approximately 5-10 working days, from the date the deceased is released by the local authorities after releasing the authorization letter and releasing the required documents after your funeral home will book a flight and make the shipping process then send the flight details to the deceased relatives.
Botswana Diaspora Population
According to diasporafordevelopment.com, there are about +/-86,501 Batswana that are living in the diaspora. They are spread across the following countries:
- South Africa 73,310
- Zimbabwe 3,825
- United Kingdom 3,748
- Australia 1,512
- Zambia 1,048
Percentage of immigrants from total population – 3.75%
Percentage of immigrants in the EU – 5.6%
Botswana Diaspora Remittances
According to a 2019 report by the World Bank on remittances, Botswana’s latest recording of remittances received was $53.6 million
There is no available data to show the spread of this remittances from source of country.
How Funds Are Remitted to Botswana
Channels used by most Batswana to send money back home to friends and relatives:
- Western Union
- XE: Best for smaller amounts
- WorldFirst: Best for large money transfers
- Currencies Direct: Best for fee-free transfers
- WorldRemit: Best for instant transfers
Reasons for sending remittances to Botswana
Remittances have become an important source for socio-economic equalizing and leveraging for many households and nations of the developing country. Migrants are said to have become the lifelines of their families back home.
Majority of the remittances sent home are primarily for upkeep of family members remaining in Botswana.
Most Botswana nationals use internet applications such as WhatsApp, Facebook and E-mails to communicate with their family back home. In most African countries, using data to make a call is much cheaper than it is to use mobile airtime to phone overseas.
Below are the statistics on the internet users in Botswana and how widely spread Ghanaians are over the internet and on Social Media.
Internet users in Botswana
- There were 1.12 million internet users in Botswana in January 2021.
- The number of internet users in Botswana increased by 22 thousand (+2.0%) between 2020 and 2021.
- Internet penetration in Botswana stood at 47.0% in January 2021.
Social Media Statistics for Botswana
- There were 1.20 million social media users in Botswana in January 2021.
- The number of social media users in Botswana increased by 200 thousand (+20%) between 2020 and 2021.
- The number of social media users in Botswana was equivalent to 50.5% of the total population in January 2021.
Mobile Connections in Botswana
- There were 3.89 million mobile connections in Botswana in January 2021.
- The number of mobile connections in Botswana increased by 222 thousand (+6.0%) between January 2020 and January 2021.
- The number of mobile connections in Botswana in January 2021 was equivalent to 163.9% of the total population
Note: many people have more than one mobile connection, so figures for mobile connections may exceed 100% of the total population.
BOTSWANA KEY EMBASSY/ CONSULATE DETAILS
Botswana Embassy in The Republic of South Africa
Postal Address: PO Box 57035, ARCADIA, 0007
Street Address: 24 Amos Street, Colbyn, PRETORIA
Phone: 012 430 9640
Fax: 012 342 1845
Botswana Embassy in The Republic of Zimbabwe
- Botswana Embassy in Harare, Zimbabwe
- 22 Phillips Avenue, Belgravia
- P.O. Box 563
TELEPHONE: (+263) (242) 794 645 / 7 / 8 or (+263) (242) 745 179
OFFICE HOURS: Monday-Friday: 08:00-12:45 and 14:00-16:30
HEAD OF MISSION: Mr. Louis Matshwenyego Fisher, Ambassador
CONSULAR SERVICES: No information available
High Commission of Botswana in The UK
6 Stratford Place
London W1C 1AY
TELEPHONE: (+44) 20 7499 0031 or (+44) 20 7647 1000
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Embassy of Botswana in Australia
Address: 130 Denison Street, Deakin Act 2600, P. O. Box 3812, Manuka Act 2603, Canberra
Telephone: +612 6234 7500
Fax: +612 6282 4140
Hours of Business: Monday to Friday: 0900 - 1300 hrs and 1400 - 1700 hrs
Embassy of Botswana in Zambia
- 5201 Pandit Nehru Road
- Diplomatic Triangle
PO Box 31910
PHONE LOCAL: (021) 1252058
FAX LOCAL: (021) 1253895
For consulate and embassy information on Botswana, please contact Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation
Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation
Private Bag 00368
Tel. (+267) 3600700
Fax. (+267) 3973067
TEL. (+267) 3600744
Fax. (+267) 3974516
Mob. (+267) 75 663 790
Opening hours: 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.