Country Of Origin:
Ugandans worldwide the bespoke Diaspora Funeral Cash Plan cover is for YOU!
We now live in an era of transnationalism wherein as transnational citizens we are essentially global villagers who belong to more than one society. When it comes to your global family protection needs you need flexible and versatile risk management solutions. Talk of worldwide protection without boards, we got you covered. At Diaspora Insurance we specialise in crafting bespoke risk solutions to make sure that you can cover not just yourself in the diaspora but also your loved ones in your native country if you wish.
Whether you are Ugandans by descent, registry, birth, marriage you name it the Diaspora Insurance is for You even if you have naturalised by taking other citizenship.
Population / Demographic: Uganda has a large diaspora, residing mainly in the United States and the United Kingdom. This diaspora has contributed enormously to Uganda’s economic growth through remittances and other investments (especially property).
Economy: Uganda also serves as an economic hub for a number of neighbouring countries like the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, and Rwanda.
Health: Life expectancy at birth was estimated to be 53.45 years in 2012.The infant mortality rate was approximately 61 deaths per 1,000 children in 2012.
Ugandans in Diaspora
Why Ugandans Relocate to the Diaspora
The decision to emigrate in Uganda has often been a response to a combination of several factors, including economic, social and political and environmental factors such as poverty, landlessness and economic dislocations.
These factors are also often linked to factors such as trade, urbanisation and the growth of administrative sectors, agriculture, land degradation and rural poverty to induce migration, both internal and international.
Among potential emigrants, the largest number say they would move to another country generally in search of economic opportunity- preferably within East Africa.
Body Repatriation for Ugandans in the Diaspora
The Entebe International Airport in Uganda has clearance to receive bodies repatriated into the country.
Cost of repatriating a body to Uganda .
Repatriation costs vary depending on weight, distance and funeral director fees. The cost of repatriating a body from for example the UK to Uganda is estimated at £3000.
Requirements for repatriating a body to Uganda
- A valid post mortem report
- A Death Certificate
- An Embalment and cremation certificate
- Export permit to repatriate the dead body to Uganda
- Infectious / Non-infectious disease certificate. This has to be issued by healthy authorities in the repatriating country.
- Uganda passport or Uganda issued permanent residence document
- Certificate of contents declaring contents of coffin (issued by funeral director).
For Cremated remains:
- Certified copy of death certificate
- Cremation certificate
- Hermetically sealed container
Other Essentials for repatriating a body to Uganda
- Documents to be Submitted for Authentication (Fee US$50)
- Certification is done for free. Processing time is ordinarily 2 working days
- When in doubt, contact the Ugandan Embassy in the repatriating country.
How long does it take to repatriate a body to Uganda?
- It is difficult to know in advance the timelines for repatriation to Uganda as repatriation can only take place after all documentation are in place. When the authorisation letter is issued, repatriation can take place anytime from 5 days to 20 days depending on the funeral directors’ logistics arrangements.
Uganda Diaspora Population
It is estimated that 2.2% of Uganda’s population or approximately 660,000 Ugandan nationals live in the Diaspora according to the United Nations.:
- Brazil- 400,000
- USA- 116,807
- UK- 100,000
- Italy- 50,400
- Netherlands- 40,000
- Germany- 29,500
- Canada- 35,495
- Rest of the world- 67,499
The total population of Uganda is estimated to be at 44.27 Million people according to Wikipedia.
As stated above, the 660,000 diaspora citizens make up 1.5% of the documented population. Statistics show that the majority of Ugandan nationals emigrate to USA, United Kingdom and Canada according to Wikipedia. Others that left due to political instability flooded DRC, Somalia, Burundi, Saudi Arabia.
Uganda Diaspora Remittances
Overall Uganda receives 49% of the value of remittances from developed countries and 51% from developing countries, especially its neighbours according to the World Bank. Currently Uganda receives well over $1 Billion in remittances from all over the world
How Funds Are Remitted to Uganda
Channels used by most Ugandans to send money back home to friends and relatives:
- World Remit
- Wise (formerly known as Transferwise)
- Western Union
Reasons for sending remittances to Uganda
Remittances have become an important source for socio-economic equalizing and leveraging for many households and nations of the developing country. Migrants are said to have become the lifelines of their families back home.
Majority of the remittances sent home are primarily for upkeep of family members remaining in Uganda.
Most Ugandans use internet applications such as WhatsApp, Facebook and E-mails to communicate with their family back home. In most African countries, using data to make a call is much cheaper than it is to use mobile airtime to phone overseas.
Below are the statistics on the internet users in Uganda and how widely spread Ugandans are over the internet and on Social Media.
Internet users in Uganda
- There were 12.16 million internet users in Uganda as at January 2021
- The number of internet users in Uganda increased by 1.5 million (+14%) between 2020 and 2021.
- Internet penetration in Uganda stood at 26.2% in January 2021
Social Media Statistics for Uganda
- There were 3.40 million social media users in Uganda in January 2021
- The number of social media users in Uganda increased by 900 thousand (+37%) between 2020 and 2021.
- The number of social media users in Uganda was equivalent to 7.3% of the total population in January 2021.
Mobile Connections in Uganda
- There were 28.01 million mobile connections in Uganda in January 2021.
- The number of mobile connections in Uganda increased by 1.1 million (+4%) between January 2020 and January 2021.
- The number of mobile connections in Uganda in January 2021 was equivalent to 60.3% of the total population.
Note: many people have more than one mobile connection, so figures for mobile connections may exceed 100% of the total population.
UGANDA KEY EMBASSY/ CONSULATE DETAILS
Embassy of Uganda in USA
Address: 5911 16th Street NW, Washington, DC 20011
Tel: Phone: +1-(202) 726-7100
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Embassy of Uganda in UK
Address: Uganda House, Uganda High Commission, 58 - 59 Trafalgar Square, St. James's, London WC2N 5DX, United Kingdom
Website: Uganda High Commission in London (mofa.go.ug)
Embassy of Uganda in Australia
Address: 11 Ngunawal Dr, O'Malley ACT 2606, Australia
Phone Number: +61 02 6286 1234
Website/ Email: https://www.ugandahighcommissionaustralia.org
Uganda High Commission in Canada
Address: 350 Sparks Street, Suite 1210, Ottawa, Canada
Phone Number: +1 613 789 7797
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Latest information on the status of Ugandans living in the diaspora- By Tariro Mutonhori
For consulate and embassy information on Uganda, please contact Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2A/B Apollo Kaggwa Road
P.O BOX 7084, Kampala