Body Repatriation for Mozambique in the Diaspora
Most repatriated bodies are received at the Maputo International Airport in Mozambique.
Cost of repatriating a dead body to Mozambique
It is fairly expensive to repatriate a dead body from abroad to Mozambique. The reason why it’s more expensive than a normal flight fee is because there are special legal and health requirements that need to be satisfied in order to do so,
When repatriating from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Europe or any other far away places, the amount is even more as costs depend not only on weight, but also on distance among other factors such as funeral directors’ fees tariffs.
Requirements for repatriating a body to Mozambique
- A valid post mortem report
- A Death Certificate
- An Embalment and cremation certificate
- Export permit to repatriate the dead body to Mozambique
- Infectious / Non-infectious disease certificate. This has to be issued by healthy authorities in the repatriating country.
- Mozambique passport or Mozambique issued permanent residence document
- Certificate of contents declaring contents of coffin (issued by funeral director).
For Cremated remains:
- Certified copy of death certificate
- Cremation certificate
- Hermetically sealed container
Other Essentials for repatriating a body to Mozambique.
- All documents submitted must be in triplicate (Original and Two Photocopies)
- When in doubt, contact the Mozambique Embassy in the repatriating country.
How long does it take to repatriate a body into Mozambique?
- There is no definitive timeline for repatriation as repatriation can only take place after all documentation are in place. When the authorisation letter is issued, repatriation to Mozambique can take place anytime from 5 days to 20 days depending on the funeral directors’ logistics arrangements.